Josh and I have both noticed that Ben has been changing a lot lately. They are all positive changes and very exciting for us to see.
- He doesn't have any new words really (although he does say "Yeah" correctly sometimes), but he is babbling a lot more and clearly trying to say more things. Sometimes he sounds like he's getting close to the right word. He also clearly understands most of what we say and is getting better at following directions.
- He learned to drink out of a straw this week! This is huge because I've been trying to get him to use a straw and he just didn't "get it" and would get really frustrated. We had a big breakthrough when I put milk in the cup (Ben does love his milk...) and he was motivated enough to figure it out. We've been told it will help strengthen his mouth muscles and it also makes it a lot easier to eat out. No more fear of dropping the only clean sippy cup on the floor in restaurants!
- Ben loves to play a game with his flashcards where I set a few out and when I name the objects he points to the correct card. I recently bought a new set of flashcards that have an animal for each letter of the alphabet. Some of them are not at all easy (yak, newt) but Ben learned them all in about 2 days! He even sets them out for me and waits for me to quiz him.
- We went to a new playgroup this week and the kids had snacktime in a classroom with little tables and chairs. If you know Ben, you know that he doesn't sit still for very long at all. I was very skeptical about him sitting with the other kids and eating his snack. To my complete surprise, he sat for a good 15 minutes eating goldfish with the other kids. I could not believe it!
- Ben is really into lining things up and sorting things these days. I have a series of pictures I'll post later of some of his accomplishments. He usually does it when I'm not around and I always laugh when I see the creative things he does.
- Ben is more interested than ever in playing with us rather than next to us. He is starting to bring me books and toys. And he loves to wrestle with Josh and will pull on his back to get him to wrestle some more.
We are so proud of our little boy and all his accomplishments!
Thanks for the update, Amy. I like lining and stacking things up too. Benjamin and I have something in common!
ReplyDelete